* Note: Current rankings are based on activity in the last calendar
Here is the number 1 reason why the offense will never get better under Kyle, even if he fires A-Rod & Harding.
by UteThunder 2016-11-27 16:01:38
Kyle has never let his OCs bring in their own staff.
Ludwig is the only one who has ever come close to having that luxury, and even he had guys who coached with GA at SUU forced on him.
When Ludwig left and A-Rod and Schramm were named Co-OCs, their staff was made up of guys who had coached for Ludwig.
When Chow came in, nearly the entire offensive staff remained in place.
When Johnson was promoted, it was the same thing.
When Erickson was brought in, he didn't bring a staff with him(though, as it turns out, he wasn't actually brought in to be OC).
When Christensen came in, he only brought in Harding.
When A-Rod and Harding were promoted, again, the staff didn't really change. The changes to their offensive staff that we have seen were made by Kyle, not the Co-OCs.
When Anae was rumored for the job a few years back, the supposed hang up was that Anae wanted to bring in his own guys but Kyle wouldn't allow it.
Each OC change has seen 1, maybe 2, new coaches coming in but nobody has had the power to bring in their own guys.
So, we can hope that Whit fires/demotes A-Rod/Harding, but whoever he brings in will be stuck with the same position coaches we already have. On top of that, Kyle's practice of preventing OCs from bringing in their own guys is going to prevent us from bringing in anyone good.
There are other reasons our offense won't improve under Kyle, but I believe this is the biggest.
All year, there has been a portion of fans who think Harding is great and we just need to get rid of A-Rod. What are you people basing this opinion on?
These fans say Harding is an amazing recruiter. Who have we gotten due to Harding recruiting them that we otherwise wouldn't have gotten?
These fans also say Harding has done great things with the offensive line this year. What has he done to make the line great this year? Williams faces constant pressure in a pocket that collapses faster than broken lawn chair. Our O-line has been decent, but certainly not what I would call great. In fact, they don't seem to be any better than they were last year, they're maybe even slightly worse than they were last year when it comes to pass protection.
I've not been impressed with Harding one bit and I thought he should have left with his buddy Dave.
Sadly, this is the performance I was expecting. Utah has very little to play for and Colorado is playing for the division title. We are deflated and unmotivated. Couple that with our inept offensive scheme and we have a recipe for being blown out.
by UteThunder 2016-11-26 19:13:22
I expect things to get much worse in the second half.
Here is one way to look at our coaching staff . . .
by UteThunder 2016-11-20 13:41:01
After joining the Pac-12, Kyle's number one priority was to upgrade the talent and depth on the roster. Why not the coaching staff?
Roderick has been with Utah since Kyle took over. Other than his buddy Sark offering him to be his WR coach at Washington, has A-Rod ever had another P5 program try to hire him?
Harding came from Wyoming. Other than his time as a GA at Missouri, all of his experience has been coaching high school and Wyoming. Other than coming to Utah after being fired by Wyoming, has Harding ever had a P5 program try to hire him?
Scalley has been with the program since 2006. Has a P5 program ever tried to hire him?
Shah has only been with us since 2012 and was an attorney prior to that. Has any other P5 school ever tried to hire him?
Ena is in his second year of coaching but his coaching experience is limited to FCS, having coached at Southern Utah and Weber State prior to coming to Utah. Has any other P5 programs ever tried to hire him?
Powell has only ever coached at Hawaii and Utah. Has any other P5 program ever tried to hire him?
Fred Whittingham is in his first year of coaching football. Do I even need to ask the question?
Dennis Erickson and Guy Holliday(4 years at Miss. State) are the only coaches on this staff with P5 coaching experience.
I'm not saying the coaches suck, but I do wonder . . . If no other P5 teams have interest in these guys, are they P5 caliber?
The curse of Max Hall is real. And it is alive and well.
by UteThunder 2016-09-12 19:29:02
With our latest win over BYU, I decided it was time to dust off this post of mine from 2013 and update it a little bit. Updates are in bold.
Since November 2009, when Max Hall went on his hate-filled rant . . .
- BYU landed the #1 QB recruit in the nation only to run him out of town.
- The Pac-12 invited Utah & Colorado.
- BYU's plan to join the WAC blew up in their face.
- Harvey Unga missed his senior season due to an honor code violation.
- BYU got crushed by Utah State in Logan prompting the firing of their DC.
- Brandon Burton blocks the game winning FG attempt in the final MWC matchup between Utah & BYU.
- BYU fired arguably the best OC they've ever had, replacing Anae with Doman.
- Utah crushed BYU 54-10 in the first non-conference meeting between the two.
- Riley Nelson transferred to BYU and became their starting QB.
- Big XII talks with BYU break down. Big XII officials call BYU "a real piece of work" and move on to TCU & West Virginia.
- Big East comes to the same conclusion as the Big XII.
- Utah beat BYU 3 times in one night.
- Scheduling difficulties: A seemingly endless stream of 2-for-1s and 1-and-dones. While Utah gets a home-and-home from Michigan in addition to the perpetual home-and-homes that comes with Pac-12 membership.
- Rivalry game took a two year break. Utah's decision.
- BYU is no longer getting 3-for-1 or 2-for-1 from Utah State. Now they play the Aggies on equal terms.
- BYU fires their new "best OC ever!" and brings back the other guy who had become stale and predictable. The only difference now is that he will be stale and predictable at a much faster pace.
- Taysom Hill transfered to BYU and became their starting QB.
- Utah beat BYU 20-13 in Kyle Van Noy's "Super Bowl".
- Utah State stomped BYU in Provo using a LB as a RB.
- The Memphis Brawl exposed BYU for the dirty punks they truly are.
- Utah has regained control of the basketball series, winning 3 in a row followed by the cancellation of a game in Provo.
- Jamaal Williams missed an entire season for “undisclosed honor code violations”.
- Utah beat BYU in the Vegas Bowl, a match-up they begged for but that Utah did not want at all.
- One of the best coaching staffs they’ve ever had left for Virginia and was replaced by a bunch of Uncle Ricos with little to no coaching experience.
- LGBT and Title IX issues related to their precious honor code are likely going to keep them out of the BigXII during this round of expansion.
- Utah beat BYU 20-19, stuffing their hero, super-senior Taysom Hill, on a 2 pt attempt. And Utah gifted them 6 turnovers!
- 6 straight losses to Utah.
Max Hall lied. The curse is real. Get used to it Cougar fans, things are only going to get worse for BYU.
1. QB experience - BYU has a 26 year old QB with a lot more D1 experience than Williams. If the game is tight, this could be tough to overcome.
2. RB play - BYU's RB is really good, better than Joe Williams IMO. If he gets going, BYU will just run clock to play keep away and hope they can win a low scoring game like they did against UA.
3. Lack of game film - Our coaches only have one actual game of film to go off of. They are pretty much guessing at what to expect. The element of surprise could be difficult to overcome.
Reasons to be confident:
1. Defensive talent and experience - Our defense is pretty damned talented and aside from our LBs, they have a ton of experience.
2. QB play - I'm not sure how good Troy Williams is, but he looked like he could be better than Wilson. Having a competent passing game could turn what has been a "too close for comfort" type game most years into a blowout.
3. Coaching experience - Our coaches have been working together and coaching these players for years. BYU's coaches have been working together and coaching their players for less than a year.
4. Home field advantage - RES is going to be rocking.
5. Hill has lost a step - This doesn't make him one-dimensional, but he seems like less of a dual threat than before. If we don't have to commit one of our defenders to spying him for the whole game, our defense will be that much better.
Sitake and Tuiaki's familiarity with our program not as much of a factor as BYU fans would like to believe.
by UteThunder 2016-09-06 19:00:12
They left the program after the 2014 season, the same time that Dave Christensen left. We have new Co-OCs(A-Rod and Harding) and have replaced our DC twice since they left(Pease and Scalley). We also have new position coaches in Powell, Ena, and Holliday. And though it has been less than two years since they left, there has been a lot of roster turn over since they were with our program. Obviously all of the seniors who were on the team in 2014 are now gone as well as nearly every junior. In total, approximately one third of our roster is new.
As week 1 winds to a close with Ole Miss vs Florida State tonight, here are the week 2 games that will have my interest in addition to Utah vs BYU.
by UteThunder 2016-09-05 14:33:44
Utah State @ USC - The Aggies did what they were supposed to against Weber State and USC looked very vulnerable against Bama. I doubt USU can pull the upset, but I think there is more of a possibility now than I did a week ago.
Arkansas @ TCU - Big matchup between SEC & BigXII teams. I root for the Razorbacks as a secondary team and I have admired TCU's program ever since we were in the MWC with them.
Texas Tech @ Arizona State - If Graham can get his offense revved up, this could be a real shootout.
Washington State @ Boise State - There is little doubt the Cougars were looking ahead to this game when they lost to E. Washington and you know the Broncos have had this game circled all summer. Should be exciting.
Cal @ San Diego State - Cal took care of Hawaii but they will get a real test in the Aztecs.
UNLV @ UCLA - How do the Bruins recover from the tough loss at aTm? The Rebels should be just what the doctor ordered.
Virginia @ Oregon - Virginia lost to Richmond and Oregon didn't exactly look like "Oregon" against UC Davis.
LSU's Josh Boutte suspended one game for cheap hit at end of Wisconsin game. Just right? Or not enough?
by UteThunder 2016-09-05 11:03:04
If he truly thought the play was still live, then I think it is enough. If he didn't, and based on his reaction after the hit I don't think he did truly believe the play was live, then it isn't enough. Should be 3 games minimum.
Re-watched the SUU game. Some thoughts and observations.
by UteThunder 2016-09-05 10:36:49
We were much more basic on defense than I had previously thought, which is good. But, we went with 5 D-linemen quite a bit and still couldn't put a lot of pressure on their QB. Also, our tackling was not very good. Williams will have a career day against us if we tackle the same way against BYU.
The OL was about as bad as I had thought they were initially, both in the pass and the run. Several of TW's passes were designed to be quick throws and he still had pressure getting to him just as he released the ball. Considering it was an FCS opponent, there were too many times where our RB was being hit at the line of scrimmage. If both of these things aren't dramatically improved this week, we will be seeing a lot of Wishnowsky.
Williams ran very hesitantly throughout much of the game and still had a good ypc. If he is hesitant this week, we will struggle big time. McCormick was good, but I don't think he can carry the load.
I'm hoping our struggles can be explained by us overlooking SUU just a bit. If not, this could be a rough game Saturday.
Whittingham is 7-1 in week 2 games played at home.
Whittingham is 3-0 in games played against BYU in the month of September.
Whittingham is 5-0 in *notable games against BYU.
2005 First game against BYU and Bronco Mendenhall.
2008 Matchup of highest ranked teams - #7 Utah vs #14 BYU.
2010 Final game for Utah and BYU as members of MWC.
2011 First game for Utah as Pac-12 member and BYU as independent.
2015 First matchup in a bowl game and last time facing a Mendenhall led BYU team.
Brett McMurphy tweeted out a quote from WVU coach Dana Holgorsen advocating for P5 teams to play only other P5 teams in non-league games. I was curious if he puts his money where his mouth is, so I looked up their future schedules.
by UteThunder 2016-08-29 20:07:51
Gotta say, I am impressed.
In addition to their 9 BigXII games, they also play the following P5s in future seasons.
2017 Virginia Tech
2018 Tennessee, NC State
2019 Missouri, NC State
2021 Maryland, Virginia Tech
2022 Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
2023 Penn State, Pittsburgh
2024 Penn State, Pittsburgh
That gives them 11 P5s in 6 of the next 10 seasons. And they still have one opening each year from 2018 to 2024, two openings in 2025.
I can't imagine they will fill those remaining spots with P5s though I suppose they might with Holgorsen's comment, but good on them for making the move to schedule more P5s and fewer G5/FCS teams.
I will be keeping an eye on all Pac-12 games, but I've only listed the ones I will attempt to watch all, or part of, plus a bunch of other games I find interesting.
Fri. August 26th Hawaii vs Cal in Australia - Pac-12 team and it is the first game of the year.
Thur. September 1st SUU @ Utah - Can't wait to see our new QB. Weber State @ Utah State - I almost always take an interest in the Aggies. Oregon State @ Minnesota - I am interested to see the improvement Gary's team has made.
Fri. September 2nd Colorado State vs Colorado - Opening week rivalry game. Kansas State @ #8 Stanford - How good are the Cardinal this year?
Sat. September 3rd #3 Oklahoma vs #15 Houston - Top 15 matchup. Rutgers @ #14 Washington - Solid opener for the Huskies. #16 UCLA @ Texas A&M - Big opener for the Bruins. #18 Georgia vs #22 North Carolina - Top 25 matchup. #20 USC vs #1 Alabama - Huge opener for the Trojans. #2 Clemson @ Auburn - Should be a good game. Arizona vs BYU - How good are these two future opponents.
Sun. September 4th #10 Notre Dame @ Texas - It's Texas and Notre Dame.
Mon. September 5th #11 Ole Miss vs #4 Florida State - Top 15 matchup.
Ok BYU fans, if you claim that BYU is not discriminatory to LGBT, then try this little exercise.
Take whatever reason or argument you would typically make about why BYU is not discriminatory towards LGBT, and insert African American/Black in place of LGBT. Then tell us how BYU's honor code isn't discriminatory.
"It's our religious belief, being [African American] is a sin."
"It's ok to be [black] at BYU, [blacks] just aren't allowed to kiss, hug, or hold hands with other [black] people. [Blacks] aren't allowed to be married to other [blacks] while at BYU."
"If [African American] people don't want to live by our rules, then [African American] people shouldn't come to BYU."
I really can't believe they try to defend their policies regarding LGBT as being non-discriminatory. Certainly, as a private institution, it is their right to discriminate based on their religious beliefs. But, it is absolutely asinine to try and claim BYU doesn't discriminate and it is equally asinine to expect others to tolerate BYU's discrimination.
With football season quickly approaching, does anyone have a way for me to watch Fox 13 without switching providers?
by UteThunder 2016-08-14 14:34:48
I have Dish Network and they dropped Fox 13 back in early June. At this point, I'm thinking both sides think they can use viewer demand for football as the impetus to get the other side to cave on negotiations. The problem is, if both sides are thinking that way, then neither side is going to cave and I am going to miss out on a lot of NFL and college football.
He is from the Lavell Edwards era and was a starter.
Asked his thoughts on BigXII expansion. He thinks it is over as far as BYU is concerned and they aren't getting in. Doesn't see anyway BYU gets in with how things have unfolded since the BigXII meetings.
Oh, the irony! There are few things more amusing than watching BYU fans try to accuse other groups of bigotry. :D
by UteThunder 2016-08-08 18:42:11
Newsflash BYU fans: LGBT groups aren't against you for being Mormon. They are against you because you, your university, and your religion have a history of being bigoted against blacks, gays, and women.
If you want tolerance from LGBT, then you need to be tolerant towards them. You can't expect others to be tolerant towards you when you are intolerant towards them.
UteFans.Net is not affiliated with the University of
Utah, except that the owner, operators and contributing members
are students, alumni,
and rabid fans of the U. Additionally,
the owner and operators of Utefans.Net are not responsible
for the actions of those who use this public forum. By contributing
forum you agree to abide by the Rules of Conduct outlined on
Post Message page.